Sunday, August 2, 2009

I Blame it on the Sugar

Last week we did absolutely nothing, at at least nothing I haven’t already talked about. Daddy was home Monday and Tuesday, so we mostly relaxed and took it easy. We did however have a playdate Tuesday. We have a family that we playdate with weekly. This week we went to a local park that has everything from a nature center, to a farm, to a mini train! This week we rode the train and saw the farm, I can easily picture going back to do more.

72809 006

We did do several of the activities I posted about Thursday for the $3 Cheap Challenge.

73009 006Then Thursday wad my Birthday! And that’s where the title comes from. I blame it all on the sugar. I'm slowly recovering from a several day long sugar binge. It all started when my husband had to work late, or so I thought.  He appeared home with a cake, and my favorite dinner (he’s a smart man, instead of paying a lot to eat out he bought honey BBQ chicken tenders at the grocery store, sounds cheap, but oh how proud I am when he does stuff like that!) Meanwhile I had butter already in the mixer to make a cake! So instead I made cookies. THEN my dear friend shows up to my weekly craft circle, and besides great presents (I’ll share those another day) she brought these great cupcakes! Spice cake with caramel icing. YUM! And so I have been chowing down sugar ever since. lol

Yesterday we went to two yard sales, solely because they listed teacher supplies, and I stocked up! Hitting the second one especially hard! The first one was a disorganized mess, and most of the teacher supplies were copies, and printout. But the second one was a dream! She actually had everything on table by category, AND had it set so that every item was either in a ziploc, or a storage basket, or both! So several items I purchased were already in a basket! Here’ my new stash from the second sale:

A Neat house activity set- It was sealed and I wasn’t sure exactly what the activity cards were, but figured the pieces alone were fun! Turns out the cards are sorting, matching, counting, basic math, and such.

80209 012A set of Unifix like building cubes, and a pair of dinosaur feet sand walkers.

 80209 013I adore this one. It’s similar to tangrams, only all squares, and each square has a picture of something housey. Trees, roof pieces, a single door, a window, a dog, a cat, a person, flowers, plants, etc etc. And you take turns building a scene of a house, farm, village, etc.

80209 016I also got a game that truly is like tangrams, only the shapes you replicate are construction. It was several pieces, and a stack of activity cards.  And also a set  of these building items:

80209 017   And these:

80209 018And this stuff:

80209 019Yes, that IS a set of Lakeshore Counting Cakes. And yes, I truly paid just $30 for everything!

I also got these cubes, and a set of activity cards:

80209 011  And Blu has been finding new ways to play with his toys. And yes, I allow it.

80209 003

Mostly we’ve been really lazy, almost all we played with was a few of our new items, and the pom poms for awhile.

If you haven’t checked out the $3 Cheap Challenge yet you should. It’s a blog carnival, where you spend $3 or less and share 10 ways to play and learn!

Also this week I hope to share, finally, my thoughts on the school stuff I purchased ages ago, and if it’s working as I expected. I also have some crafty projects to share.

If you want to see a lot more tot education, most of which will be a lot more serious then mine this week, be sure the check out the Tot School and Preschool Corner link in the sidebar!

Stayed tuned for tomorrows Muffin Tin Monday, when I have no idea what the theme is yet, and better go find out!

6 comments:

The Activity Mom said...

Wow! What a bunch of fun ideas! Love your blog!

Susana said...

You really hit the jackpot at the yard sale!! You seriously got some great stuff--alot of those items are on my "wish list".

Thanks for sharing the $3 cheap challenge--I think I would really enjoy this!!

Izzie, Mac & Me said...

I just discovered your blog and read your rant about your child's speech delay. Thank you for saying what I have been thinking! My daughter is 35 months old, has been in speech therapy since she was 20 months old, and was recently diagnosed with Apraxia, a speech disorder. I look forward to hearing about your child's speech progress.

Nicole {tired, need sleep} said...

Wow, I need to go to yard sales with you! What amazing finds!

Raising a Happy Child said...

You found some really neat stuff! Happy belated birthday, and I am sure that Blu will love all his new toys!

K-tribe said...

Great Finds!!