Monday, October 12, 2009

How to really Feel Fall

Fall is my favorite season. All my favorite holidays are in it. The falling leaves and changing trees speak to me. Even just leaves scattered on a path.

10409 053

“Look at me” they say “Savor Me.”

10409 028

“Slow down, and just look.”

10409 063

I admit I’ve been known to slightly, slowly, veer off the road because I’m looking at a particular tree. Not in an unsafe way mind you, but just realizing I’m suddenly going about 15 miles an hour and on the white line.

The other day I took a back road home during a mild wind storm and all around me were gorgeous fall colors, falling leaves, red and yellows. It just took my breath away. Curving in and out with the land, falling leaves, a sleeping kid, and life was good.

Besides just enjoying leaves I tend to really get into Fall. I like to surround myself with it like a warm blanket. Fitting, don’t you think? Fall is partly about warm blankets.

I read a lot of design and decor blogs, and magazines, and some of the stuff they do is really gorgeous, but simple fact is we work on a budget, a tight budget, and not a tight 6 figure budget. Here are ways that I put a little fall into everything I do.

A dash of cinnamon or nutmeg- add it to just about anything. The other night I put nutmeg in the breading of chicken strips and cinnamon in the honey mustard dip, and they tasted just faintly of Fall. If you are making a simple “No Bake Cheesecake” make it festive, and yummy, but putting cinnamon in the mix, and garnish with cinnamon on top.

Tuck extra blankets here and there. Throw a blanket over the back of the couch, stack extras under the side table. Even unexpected places like the back of a dining room chair. And a throw pillow always add a touch of comfort.

101209 003

Jot notes on brown paper, and wrap items with kraft paper. Use a brown pen instead of black.

I haven’t done it yet in this post, but call it Autumn. It sounds so much brighter and worth celebrating. Usually I do say Autumn, but most people say Fall so I started the post like that.

Use pumpkins. Pumpkins can be purchased cheaply this time of year and whether you set one outside your front door or bake with them nothing else says Autumn quite like a pumpkin. Instead of regular chocolate chip cookies make Pumpkin Chocolate Chip.

Use Apples. In summer I put tomatoes in my chicken salad, and regular salad for that matter, and in Autumn I use apples! I like to buy apples by the bushel and put them in everything! You can use them as a centerpiece, make apple sauce, chop them up in recipes, and just snack on them.

Wear boots or at least sneakers. Even if it is still warm where you are, trade out the flip flops and sandals for fall shoes.

Use your most seasonal cookware. If you have a casserole dish that really screams fall then use it instead of your usual glass dish. I love the feeling of pulling a hot dish from the oven and seeing that extra bit of fall looking back at me. If you don't have one, get one! I buy vintage Pyrex all the time from my local Goodwill for $3!! Right now I'm in love with my mustard yellow dish, it's prefect for Autumn tasties!

I think the most important thing is to ENJOY the season. Don’t focus on the chilly temperatures, or the lack of light at night, focus on the crisp smell, the colors of the leaves, and the festive sense people are getting. Go to a pumpkin patch. Make a scarecrow. Breath the crisp cool air and think about the wonderful things you did during the summer, then dive into a pile of leaves.

Happy Autumn everyone!!! Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog said...

I adore this time of year, and reading all your ideas was so inspiring! I agree on the Autumn vs. Fall thing too. Off to make some hot apple cider.... Yum!