Sunday, November 29, 2009

Planning

Do you ever feel like you spend hours planning? I feel like that, because I KNOW I do. I spent about 4 hours today planning. Planning what? A one week unit study, and the workboxes to carry it out. A two week menu plan, with 16 dinners, 10 lunches, 10 breakfasts, baked goods, special treats, and smoothie flavors.  I plan our meals openly, so that instead of a certain meal a certain day we can choose based on what we want to eat. Certain meals are weekend meals because they don’t reheat well, cook for a long time, or don’t leave a lot of leftovers. I also have one or two “special” meals that cost a bit extra. Most of my meals are $5 or less, not including the meat. (We order hormone free local meat in large amounts from a local butcher.) My two week budget is usually$225,  and $80 minimum of that has to pay for our meat, and a water filter we got ripped off buying several years ago. (Imagine a stupid water filter costing about $1500!!! We got screwed.) So my actual in the store budget is $145. I almost never go over.

Unlike a lot of people who eat “frugally” our meals are large, most contain meat, and we also get a lot of snacks, baked goods, and more. We almost always have dessert.

For the next 2+ weeks our dinners will include:

Minestrone Soup with rolls

Rueben Sandwiches

Burritos

Chinese Chicken Salad

Spaghetti and Meatballs with spicy brussel sprouts and garlic bread

Chicken Crescents

Sloppy Joes

Split Pea Soup with rolls or biscuits

Crock Pot Lasagna

Chili

Honey Chicken with rolls

Cheeseburger Pie

Slow Cooker Pork Roast with glazed carrots

BBQ Biscuit Dish with side salad

Country Ribs, with rice and beans

And Easy Tortilla Soup.

Our lunches are various mixes of fruit, crackers, sandwiches, and soups. And Breakfast is various basic stuff. Our special treats include Easy Doughnuts, Spinach Dip, and a Stuffed Bread based on a medieval recipe (did I mention this week is Knight themed?)

All for about $200. That’s why planning meals takes so long. I stick to a VERY firm and tight budget.

Over the next two weeks I’ll share with you recipes for the above foods, then you can easily have two weeks of planned meals too! So stay tuned!

No comments: