Friday, November 6, 2009

Pumpkin Muffins

Remember how Blu and I Muffin Bombed the neighbors? Well the muffins have gotten rave reviews, and Blu has been chowing down on them, so I wanted to share the recipe with you!

110509 026

The official recipe says it makes 18-20, I managed to make 33!!! But they can freeze, so ….

Pumpkin Date (Or in my case chocolate chip) Muffins

I substituted the dates for chocolate chips, and the walnuts for chopped up green pumpkin seeds (the seed inside the white shell) and they are GOOODDDDD. I imagine they are quite good the original way too.

Ingredients:

3 1/3 cup flour

2 t baking soda

1/2 t baking powder

1/2 t salt

1 1/2 t cinnamon

1/2 t cloves

1/2 t nutmeg

2/3 c shortening

2 2/3 cup sugar (I used 1 1/3 white, and 1 1/3 brown)

4 eggs

2 c pumpkin

2/3 c water (if using canned pumpkin, my home cooked pumpkin required no water)

2/3 c chopped walnuts

2/3 c chopped dates

 

Preheat oven to 350, and place paper wrappers in muffin tins. If you want to, premix the dry ingredients (not the sugar.) I always just measure right into the bowl, I never premix.

Cream shortening and sugar. It doesn’t get very fluffy, it’s more like wet sand.

Add eggs, one at a time.

Add pumpkin, and water if necessary. Be warned my pumpkin was home cooked and thawed from frozen, and this part could have been VERY messy, it was filling my stand mixer’s bowl and was VERY wet.

Add dry ingredients slowly.

Add dates and nuts, or if you’re going the sweet route chocolate chips and nut.

Pour into paper lined cups, and bake for 20 to 30 minutes. My oven needs replacing and it only took 20 minutes, you might want to check them at about 15 if you have a good oven. They will look a rich orange-brown color, and be visibly cooked. If the center looks gooey, give them a few more minutes.

Cool for a few minutes and remove from tray to finish cooling.

Want a tip? I use a ladle to fill my muffin tins. Depending on the size of your ladle it might take a half or a full scoop to fill your muffin tin, but it is so much cleaner then any other way I’ve tried. Just scoop and pour! You can also use a batter bowl, the bowls with spouts, but I find they tend to drip from the spout and make a mess on the counter. 

I warn you they are good! It’s hard to limit the muffin intake. Enjoy!

No comments: