Monday, January 18, 2010

Cheap & Wonderful Dinner

Last night we had a wonderful dinner, it was delicious, nutritious, and best of all super cheap. I calculated the entire meal to cost less then $3! Mostly because we do a large percent of our grocery shopping at Aldi (if you don’t already you REALLY should.) The prices are so good that it was worth our time to travel almost 20 minutes away to do large amounts of shopping there! Luckily we have a closer one now though. The trick to traveling to shop is making sure you are saving enough to make it worthwhile. Saving well over 50 bucks (sometimes over a $100!)is well worth the $5 worth of gas to get there. If you save $20 and pay $10 in gas just save your time.

Almost all of the dishes I cook cost $5 or less, not including meat. We buy local hormone free meat from a butcher so I don’t calculate it in the price. He gives me a good deal if I buy a large amount at once. Last time we got hormone free skinless boneless chicken breast, and ground beef, both for about $3 a pound.

You need:

1 box or bag of pierogies- A dumpling stuffed with mashed potatoes. Usually available in the frozen food section, and at Aldi they are $1.69 a box. At regular grocery stores I think they are about $4

6 Tablespoons of Butter- cut into little pats or chunks. At Aldi butter is $1.69 a pound so this butter cost me about 50 cents.

1 small onion- which cost me 20 cents (I used red)

dash of red Wine vinegar

small amount of cooking oil.

I also used one half of a bag of frozen peas as a side dish, so that was 50 cents.

How to:

Heat the oil in a small skillet. Thinly slice the onion. Sauté the onion and sprinkle in a dash of the vinegar.  Cook until just beginning to be translucent, they will still bake in the oven too.

Take a small baking dish and lay the pierogies in the dish. Top with the pieces of butter. Top with the onions. Sprinkle with just a tiny bit more of the vinegar.

Cover with foil and bake. I baked mine at 400 for 20 minutes and then since I was still giving a bath to a certain little someone it was turned down to 350 and cooked maybe 15 minutes more. It was probably done after the first 20.

We loved eating ours by mixing the cooked onions in with the peas.

My husband is a massive carnivore, he hates veggie meals, but he was surprisingly okay with this. It’s because the pierogies are so filling.

If you make this I’d love to hear your thoughts!

4 comments:

The Calico Cat said...

2 questions
1. Do you thaw the pierogies first?
2. How many pierogies come in a box? (I buy mine at Costco...)

Alicia said...

Hey! Thanks for commenting!

1. No you don't have to thaw them first. :)

2. Ours has 12 in a box. It had a fair amount of melted butter sauce leftover, and draining off, so I think you could do at least a few more pierogies without using more butter.

Tami said...

I've never eaten pierogies made like this. This recipe has peaked my interest. I have a lazy man's pierogi recipe posted on my blog. It's delicious.

In fact, I don't think that I've ever met a pierogi that I didn't like!

Mommy Matters said...

I love Aldi too....it's on my 1st of the month route in the #2 spot. I know I save a ton there, and their quality is good!